You are hereCommittees / Transportation
Southeast Conference Transportation Committee
FY 2011 Work Plan
TRANSPORTATION COMMITTEE MISSION
Our vision for Southeast Alaska is to develop to the maximum extent possible, the transportation system that will provide safe, affordable, and dependable, long-term transportation for our region.
- Maintain open communication between the Governor’s office, Department of Transportation, the Alaska Legislature, MTAB and the communities in Southeast Alaska.
- Establish a system of safe, affordable and dependable transportation for Southeast Alaska.
- Solid support for the AMHS fleet amongst the Legislature and encourage fiscal certainty.
- Implementation of the Southeast Alaska Transportation Plan’s objectives of providing improved, cost-effective regional transportation in Southeast Alaska.
- Region-wide enhancement, repair and development of the many harbors and port facilities, while networking export and import opportunities within the region and internationally.
FY11 TRANSPORTATION TASKS AND WORK PLAN
- Maintain the Alaska Class Ferry construction process as a number one priority for the AMHS, Administration and Southeast Alaska.
- Advocate for improved ferry service and schedule.
- Advocate for annual appropriations to the Vessel Replacement Fund and forward funding for fuel.
- Advocate for ferry, port and harbor, road, rail and air transportation system enhancements in S.E.
- Advocate for a level of road construction and maintenance necessary in the Tongass to support a viable forest products industry, subsistence use and meet the needs of basic transportation for communities within the Tongass.
- Encourage the continued development and implementation of workforce development in southeast Alaska in the field of boat building and marine support.
- Support the development of our gateway ports and harbors.
- Facilitate more community and private sector participation in the operation and maintenance of public facilities and transportation services.
- Support implementation of a formal, collaborative process for air transportation planning that leads to the establishment of increased services in airfreight and marine shipping opportunities.
- Support Inter-Island Ferry’s efforts to maintain funding assistance from State of Alaska.
- Attend legislative hearings and Marine Transportation Advisory Board meetings and encourage the improvement of ferry service, such as timely schedules and dependability.
- Participate in the public process for the Southeast Alaska Transportation Plan (SATP). Attend public meetings and provide committee feedback to Department of Transportation.
- Encourage community involvement before any amendments are made to the SATP.
- Participate with communities, agencies, and other groups to expand plans for regional maritime infrastructure projects.
- Maintain SEC Transportation Committee with regular committee meetings.